Monday, October 5, 2009

Art = Work

I chose this piece really because it displays a new outlook on the world of art as we know it. It's conceptual (something I'm trying very hard to come to understand), and it's message is clearly displayed. (YES! Something you don't have to stare at for six hours to comprehend!)

Art equals work in most societies. Actually, in all societies. Art is something that the creators continually enjoy creating and viewing. It's not something we view as work. That's why this piece (a CD cover for a band called "The Used") is so striking. We as creators of art don't view art as something that we need to work at, or even consider art. For the most part, it comes easy to us, and we're all talented individuals... people that don't really need skill or work to get our creations to that perfection we all crave.

Then it takes a twist, and you notice that the syringe containing ART is being injected into the arm that contains WORK. Is ART neutralizing WORK? Is it accompanying it? Are we going to see a WWF smackdown between ART and WORK? The image almost makes you want to turn it into a movie, just to see what's going to happen next. It's a cliffhanger.

This cd cover has long been one of my favorites, as it happens to belong to a band that I particularly like. It strikes me as an intriguing image, that while the longer you look at it, the more details and thoughts invade your mind.


The Used
CD Cover
http://www.ukundercurrent.com/img/mdb/usedartwork410.jpg

2 comments:

  1. Great writing. Less descriptive - but who cares - I just like the passionate discussion and thought process. It's your own and strong.

    and yes - the band Used is pretty good - and (as a music director - I appreciate great cover art - which this band always considers.

    Like you said - it's viscerally charged - and they know their audience. nice work

    ReplyDelete
  2. THIS IS FROM BILL:
    Blog title: Art = Work
    Comment:
    I actually think that my art is a lot of work. Have you ever noticed that
    after a painting or drawing you feel mentally and physically drained? I
    spend a lot of time dealing with concepts I’m trying to include and how I
    can do it. There’s also color mixing and paint, or charcoal, or graphite,
    or whatever application. It’s like programming a big scarey algorithm. I
    could be just because of the way I work and because I’m a realist. Maybe
    it’s different for the style of art?

    ReplyDelete